Skip to main content
Get your Wikispaces Classroom now:
the easiest way to manage your class.
Pages and Files
list of experiments
Solubility book (3rd Edn)
Lizzie Clark with Lacey Condron and Samantha Gaines
To calculate the solubility of trans-cinnamic acid in 1-propanol by the density method.
25 mL volumetric flask
Hot Water Bath
1. Put on safety gear including goggles, lab coat, and gloves.
2. Gather the materials listed above.
3. Measure the temperature of the room (preferably in Celcius to make later calculations easier).
4. Using the electron balance, weigh the empty 25 mL volumetric flask (g).
5. Carefully pour 25 mL of 1-propanol into the volumetric flask.
6. Using an electronic balance, measure the weight of the filled volumetric flask and 1-propanol.
7. Add a small amount of trans-cinnamic acid to the 1-propanol and swirl until dissolved.
8. Place beaker in warm water bath of around 38C for one minute.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until precipitate does not dissolve, gradually increasing the temperature of the water bath each time.
10. Weigh new empty flask and tarr.
11. Pipette 25mL of 1-propanol + trans-cinnamic acid solution into flask and weigh.
Measured solubility of trans-cinnamic acid in 1-propanol.
As of 11/14/11, the observed solubility of 0.79920327781316M is comparable to the other measured values, which averaged to .9015M (
). It is also relatively close to the predicted solubility value of 1.124 M (
Observed solubility of trans-cinnamic acid in 1-propanol was 0.799M.
9:37- Used electronic balance to weigh empty volumetric flask at room temperature (20.4 degrees C). Empty flask weighed 20.2985 g.
9:45 - Weighed volumetric flask containing 25 mL of 1-propanol at room temperature (20.4 degrees C). Solvent and flask weighed 40.5036 g.
11:30- Added trans-cinnamic acid to 1-propanol in a beaker and swirled until dissolved.
11:34- Added more trans-cinnamic acid to solution until some solute failed to dissolve after swirling for 2 mins.
11:35- Put beaker in water bath 38C for one minute and solute completely dissolved leaving a clear/yellow solution.
11:36- Added more trans-cinnamic acid and swirled, some solute didn't dissolve.
11:40- Placed beaker back in water bath 39C.
11:41- Swirled - not all dissolved - placed back in water bath 39C
11:43- Swirled - not all dissolved - placed back in water bath 39C
11:45- Swirled - all solute dissolved - placed on bench to cool.
11:52- Noted no precipitate formed.
12:02- No precipitate. Added more trans-cinnamic acid and swirled. Not all solute dissolved. Placed beaker in water bath 40C
12:10- Swirled - not all dissolved - placed back in water bath 40C
12:15- Swirled - most dissolved but not all - placed back in water bath 42C
12:16- Swilred - all solute dissolved. Placed beaker on bench to cool. Parafilmed.
12:18- Noted precipitate starting to form.
12:23- Weighed flask. It weighed 20.2765 g.
12:24- Tarred balance and pipetted 25 mL of the 1-propanol + trans-cinnamic acid solution.
12:30- Weighed the solution in the flask and it weighed 21.2460g.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"