Skip to main content
Wikispaces Classroom is now free, social, and easier than ever.
Try it today.
Pages and Files
list of experiments
Solubility book (3rd Edn)
[remove span tags JCB]
Lizzie Clark with Andrew Lang
To recrystallize cinnamic acid using pure ethanol.
Trans-cinnamic acid (
125 mL erlynmeyer flask
Stopper for erlynmeyer flask
25 mL volumetric flask
25 mL pure ethanol (
Hot water bath
Cool water bath
Ring Stand and clamp
Rubber filter column
Side arm flask
1. Weigh empty volumetric flask (in grams).
2. Weigh volumetric flask with 25mL of pure ethanol (solvent) in it.
3. Pour the 25mL of solvent into an erlynmeyer flask and place stopper on the top to prevent evaporation of solvent.
4. Calculate and measure out the amount of trans-cinnamic acid (solute) needed for the intended concentration.
5. Add measured trans-cinnamic acid to erlynmeyer flask with pure ethanol.
6. Place erlynmeyer flask in hot water bath and swirl periodically.
7. Gradually increase the water bath's temperature until all solute has dissolved.
8. Record temperature that the solute finally dissolves at.
9. Place flask aside to cool at room temperature.
Planning Sheet for 2.0M solution
[cannot access JCB]
Planning Sheet for 3.0M solution
[cannot access JCB]
*Flask A= 2.0M solution, Flask B= 3.0M solution
*Room temperature at 21.5 C
9:31- Empty flask A weighed 78.174g. Empty Flask B weighed 78.640g.
9:34- Measured out 9.716g exactly of cinnamic acid and poured into erlynmeyer Flask A. Measured our 17.264g of cinnamic acid and poured into erlynmeyer Flask B.
9:50- Poured 25mL of pure ethanol into each flask and stoppered.
9:55- Placed both flasks into warm water bath at 61 C, stirring occasionally till solute completely dissolved.
9:59- Flask A completely dissolved. Bath temperature at 73 C. Placed aside to cool at room temperature.
10:03- Flask B completely dissolved. Bath temperature at 69 C. Placed aside to cool at room temperature.
[did any precipitate form? JCB]
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"